Sunday, February 17, 2008

Daytona 500

I've been a NASCAR fan for about 17 years.

This has forced me into many conversations with non-fans who just don't get it.

"It's just a bunch of rednecks turning left for 4 hours."

"NASCAR stands for Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks."

I've heard them all, and admit they're funny and partially accurate.

The thing is, I don't understand why I am expected to defend my appreciation of Stock Car Racing. Or even why I feel the need to explain it.

Anyone who says watching baseball is more exciting than watching a race must be high.

"He scratches his balls... checks the runner... grabs the rosin bag... adjusts his cap... foot on the rubber... checks the runner again... shakes off the first sign... shakes off the second sign... accepts the third sign... scratches his balls again... here's the wind-up... and the pitch... low and outside for ball one."

There's a minute of my life I'll never get back.

Basketball (hate it) and Football (love it) have time limits to keep the action moving... why not baseball?

Watching the machinations of some batters makes me want to shoot the TV. 10 seconds of ritual prior to every pitch? Can your cleats possibly have become packed with dirt in the last 4 seconds? Do you really need to cross yourself and kiss your necklace up to God for every pitch?

I've spent a lot of time over the years trying to explain my appreciation for auto racing to people who just don't get it. Its usually time wasted. Just like anyone telling me how exciting baseball is on TV would be a waste.

I suppose it comes down to a couple of things; I've been to races live, which is one of the most visceral experiences one can have. Perhaps I now transfer that experience into the races on TV. I know the smells, the thunder of the engines in my chest.

More than that - and this is the shortest explanation I can think of :

Consider you own car for a moment. Next, consider the fastest speed you've ever driven that car in tight traffic. What is that speed? 70 miles per hour? 80 at the most?

Remember, I'm not talking about the fastest you've ever driven when alone on the highway. I talking about the fastest you've gone when there was nowhere to go. Cars in front, back and on both sides. Consider driving in that situation among cars without brake lights or turn signals, and anyone might jig from lane to lane at any moment without notice.

Might that be a little bit stressful to do for 10 minutes?

Now increase the speed by more than double, up to almost 200 MPH - but maintain the same proximity to the cars around you.

Now do that for 4 hours.

In addition, consider the fact that you are running your car all-out the entire time.

Most of us do basic maintenance on our cars prior to a 2 hour trip at 60 MPH. When going to the beach for the weekend, as an example.

Consider running your own car full-throttle for 4 hours. How confident are you that every system in the car will survive the trip?

Are you able to recognize by feel when your left rear tire is exhibiting excessive wear?

Would you be able to perform at your best throughout the 500 full-throttle miles strapped into a five-point harness, full-face helmet strapped to the body of the car, without the ability to turn your head to look out the side windows?

Would you further be able to do all of this while enduring 120 degree temperatures?

I don't offer this quiz in hopes of building support for auto racing. Nor do I expect to change your mind about NASCAR in particular.

I'm just trying to offer a minimal insight into some of the things that drew me to the sport, and keep me tuning in week after week throughout the longest season in professional sports.

Think of the toughest guy you personally know, or pick your favorite tough-guy athlete.

Neither of them could compete in a NASCAR event at half the distance or speed.

Says something about the guys in the drivers seat of those gaudy-looking cars, don't you think?

No comments: