Sunday, September 28, 2008

Kathleen Parker via Andrew Sullivan

So, ever since seeing Mr. Sullivan on "Real Time" the other day I've been trying to check into his blog from time to time. He's even more link-happy than I am though. So I never get far into his recent posts before I'm off on a tangent of some kind.

Tonight was no exception.

Sullivan's Sunday entry included a link to a post about a FoxNoise story about Conservatives questioning Palin's abilities/credentials that was pulled from their website. This piece alone is worth a lengthy post, but I have to choose my battles.

On the linked post from bradblog.com I found a mention of a National Review article by Kathleen Parker which said she thought Palin should drop out of the campaign.

A Conservative Journalist writing for a Conservative publication being allowed to publish what is virtual blasphemy to the GOP? I had to see it for myself.

And sure enough... Ms. Parker told it like it is. Here are a few quotes from her article in case you were too lazy to read it yourself. FYI: The highlighted text in the previous paragraph is a direct link to the article.

"As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion."

"Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League."

"My cringe reflex is exhausted."

"Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there’s not much content there."

"If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself."

"Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first."

So here is a Journalist, who is also a Conservative, writing these words in a Conservative publication. Said Journalist is also a woman. A woman who openly admits to being wowed by Palin's announcement and that she supported her at first.

And here also is a Conservative Female Journalist who has the BALLS to speak the truth that no one else apparently can: Palin is simply not qualified for the task at hand and should step aside for the good of the country.

As a tree-hugging Leftie male I've been saying the exact same thing ever since my first inquiry into the "pit bull with lipstick". So WTF will the Palinites say to Kathleen Parker?

If you want my opinion, they'll say she's jealous. Or catty. Or some equally repugnant (and decidedly FEMALE) adjective. Mark my words.

So anyway... there was a link on the article that said "email the author" or some such thing. I sent an email. Thought it was pretty good, too. Even copied it to include here. And then, like an asshole I lost it by copying the links and quotes above. And since I didn't write the email here on my PC, it's gone.

Suffice it to say I basically thanked her for telling it like it is, briefly explained our political differences and closed by telling her that I hope her party loses the election. Which I had hoped would be a pithy attachment to this post.

And it would have been. But whether my email is included here or not, it's important to recognize that a respected female conservative journalist is calling for Palin to step aside. Not for the sake of her Party, but for the sake of her Country.

If we had more Conservatives with that kind of big-picture thinking, America might not be in the mess we are.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before -- the powers that be would rather vilify Ms. Parker and slam her message than recognize the truth.

I will not be even mildly surprised to learn of a backlash upon her. Whether it be career-oriented, personal attacks or even claims against her integrity.

The GOP does NOT approve of it's members speaking out of school.

Damn... I really wanted to post a copy of that email.

No comments: